You may not think about it much, but your favorite authors need your help. They need you to do more than just buy their books when they come out. And there are lots of ways you can help them without spending any money.
So how can you help?
- Write a review… on Amazon, Goodreads, Facebook, or a blog
- Tell your friends and fellow readers about your favorite authors and stories
- Loan out a copy of the book or story
- Send the author an email or comment on one of their posts to let them know you enjoy their work
- Ask your local bookstore ( especially indies) or library to stock the books
- When an author asks for feedback, participate. They’re asking because they want your help
- Share what you like
Do you want more of a certain type of story from an author? Let them know. Help them make it profitable enough to write those stories instead of others.
Most of all, let authors know you’re reading and enjoying their work. Sometimes that’s the one small thing that keeps us writing.